Back to the iPhone project
The Arduino project is on hold because I am waiting for parts to arrive which appear to be on a VERY slow boat from Thailand so I decided to get back to my iPhone project.
My iPhone app (which will be mainly an iPad app when it is done) currently has three view controllers. I guess you can think of these as logical screens. Each one has it’s own implementation file (class) and when I originally wrote things, just to get it all going I used a lot of global variables to share data between the view controllers. This got messy really quickly so I’ve been reworking the code over the past couple of weeks to get rid of the global variables and pass data between the view controllers the ‘proper’ way.
I also need to make the app support device rotation as well as both iPhone and iPad devices so for no particular reason I chose to attack the device rotation topic first. So far it is proving to be an interesting challenge to make all my view controllers work correctly since only the currently displayed VC receives the orientation change messages so any hidden VC has to check the orientation when it is redisplayed and reconfigure the screen to match the current orientation. Let’s just say that this part of the project is still a ‘work in progress’!
I have managed to sketch out what I want the main interface to look like but all the current work is just to get to the point where I can actually implement the main app function and has nothing to do with the actual ‘guts’ of the app.
Oh, and now we have new devices (no doubt with new physical screen sizes) and a new OS to contend with as well.
Still, it keeps me off the streets at night!